In consideration of the current conditions cause by the COVID-19 pandemic, the deadline for the 2020 Century Farm and Ranch Designation applications has been extended to June 1, 2020.
The state’s agricultural industry conducts an annual search for family-owned farms and ranches, which have stood through 100 years, as hallmarks of our agricultural heritage.
The Utah Century Farms & Ranches Committee is searching for farms and ranches which have remained in the hands of the same family unit for one hundred years or more. The Utah Century Farm & Ranch Designation will honor the commitment of Utah farm and ranch families to the state’s agricultural industry, the bold determination farmers and ranchers have exhibited throughout the development of our state’s customs and culture, and their affirmation of the vision of the pioneers in assisting the desert to “blossom as a rose.”
Century Farm & Ranch Criteria
- A Century Farm & Ranch must meet the definition of a farm as set forth in the Utah Farmland Assessment Act (Greenbelt) and have received that designation by the County Assessor.
- The farm and/or ranch must have been in continuous ownership and operation by a family for at least 100 years from the present calendar year back. Except for the original owner, lineal descent must be traced through a son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter (including in-laws) of the previous owner/operator.
How to Apply for the Century Farm & Ranch Designation
- Century Farm & Ranch applications are available through your local County Extension Service office or HERE.
- Take or send the completed application along with an *application fee of $100 made payable to: Utah Century Farm & Ranch Committee to your local County Extension Service office.
- The DEADLINE for receiving the applications is June 1st, 2020.
- The County Extension Agent verifies and signs the application then sends it to The Utah Century Farm and Ranch Committee for review. Mail applications to 9865 South State Street, Sandy, UT 84070.
- Once approved, the applicant will receive notification from the Farm Bureau office. Arrangements will be made with the local County Extension Agent to present the Century Farm & Ranch designation to the recipient family. (Presentations are typically done at county fairs.)
*The application fee covers a 2’ x 3’ metal highway sign with the Century Farm & Ranch logo, a personalized metal name plate, and a Century Farm & Ranch certificate signed by the Governor, the Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Food, and the Chief Executive Officer of the Farm Bureau.
For more information contact Julia Misiegofirstname.lastname@example.org or call at 435-733-1001.
Want more news on this topic? Utah Farm Bureau members may subscribe for a free email news service, featuring the farm and rural topics that interest them most!