“Recognizing our Past as a Legacy for our Future”
Utah Century Farms & Ranches—recognizing a century of family agriculture.
The state’s agricultural industry conducts an annual search for family-owned farms and ranches, which have stood through 100 years, as hallmarks of our agricultural heritage.
The Utah Century Farms & Ranches Committee is searching for farms and ranches which have remained in the hands of the same family unit for one hundred years or more. The Utah Century Farm & Ranch Designation will honor the commitment of Utah farm and ranch families to the state’s agricultural industry, the bold determination farmers and ranchers have exhibited throughout the development of our state’s customs and culture, and their affirmation of the vision of the pioneers in assisting the desert to “blossom as a rose.”
Utah Farms & Ranches—the backbone of our state’s economy
Utah State University Economics Department statistics reveal that Utah agriculture and agribusiness contributes approximately $17.5 billion in total economic activity that accounts for 14.1 percent of Utah’s gross state product. Additionally Utah agriculture employs 78,000 people with income compensation of $2.7 billion. The production agriculture and processing sectors generate $350 million in state and local taxes. Utah has 16,600 farms and ranches and 542 Century Farms and Ranches.
Century Farm & Ranch Criteria
- A Century Farm & Ranch must meet the definition of a farm as set forth in the Utah Farmland Assessment Act (Greenbelt) and have received that designation by the County Assessor.
- The farm and/or ranch must have been in continuous ownership and operation by a family for at least 100 years from the present calendar year back. Except for the original owner, lineal descent must be traced through a son, daughter, grandson or granddaughter (including in-laws) of the previous owner/operator.
How to Apply for the Century Farm & Ranch Designation
- Century Farm & Ranch applications are available through your local County Extension Service office or HERE
- Take or send the completed application along with an *application fee of $100 made payable to: Utah Century Farm & Ranch Committee to your local County Extension Service office.
- The DEADLINE for receiving the applications this year is April 2, 2018.
- The County Extension Agent verifies and signs the application then sends it to The Utah Century Farm and Ranch Committee for review.
- Once approved, the applicant will receive notification from the Farm Bureau office. Arrangements will be made with the local County Extension Agent to present the Century Farm & Ranch designation to the recipient family. (Presentations are typically done at county fairs.)
*The application fee covers a 2’ x 3’ metal highway sign with the Century Farm & Ranch logo, a personalized metal name plate, and a Century Farm & Ranch certificate signed by the Governor, the Commissioner of the Department of Agriculture and Food, and the Chief Executive Officer of the Farm Bureau.
For more information contact Susan Furner, Vice President--Administration, at email@example.com or 801.233.3040.