What has no premium payment upfront, does not require you to insure all acres and is area based? The Pasture, Rangeland, and Forage (PRF) program!
Pasture, Rangeland and Forage (PRF) is a federal crop insurance program that insures against a lack of rainfall for your grazing or haying acres and provides protection from increased feed costs due to forage losses. Unlike other Multi-Peril Crop Insurance (MPCI) programs, lack of precipitation is the only covered cause of loss. Also, unlike other MPCI programs, you can choose which acres to insure.
Other coverage benefits include:
- Timeline based on individual operation risk
- Customizable coverage level and productivity factor
- No premium up front
- Timely loss payments at the conclusion of each index interval
- Part of the USDA subsidized federal crop insurance program
- Area based– not measured by individual operation rainfall
- Notice of loss automatically filed based on insured area
The deadline to sign-up for this program is November 15. Visit the Farm Bureau Financial Services website or, reach out to your local Farm Bureau Agent for more information and to get signed up.
Want more news on this topic? Utah Farm Bureau members may subscribe for a free email news service, featuring the farm and rural topics that interest them most!