The Young Farmers & Ranchers (YF&R) program is a committee-centered, fully integrated part of Farm Bureau at the county, state and national level. Young people who choose to focus their lives in agricultural careers can enhance their potential for success by becoming active in Young Farmers and Ranchers early in their adult life. In keeping with Farm Bureau’s family oriented mission to improve net farm income and to serve as “The Voice of Agriculture”, the YF&R program is designed to help enterprising members achieve their goals and build satisfying lives in the profession that they love. Regular members, both as individuals and couples, up through age 35 are eligible to participate. Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Participation in policy development
- Attending annual statewide leadership conference
- Developing skills through competitive award programs
- Social interaction with other YF&R couples
- Hosting farm safety training programs
- Assisting with Agriculture in the Classroom projects
- Honing speaking and critical thinking skills by competing in the annual Discussion Meet Contest
Young Farmer & Rancher Sponsored FFA Discussion Meets
FFA Discussion Meet competitions will be held in all seven districts of the Utah Farm Bureau State Young Farmer & Rancher Committee. For the current list of questions, Discussion Meet Study Guides, FAQs, and more, click
2017 Discussion Meet Questions:
- Farmers are a shrinking percentage of the population. How can Farm Bureau help first-generation farmers and ranchers get started in agriculture?
- With a growing demand for US farm products abroad, how can agriculture overcome public skepticism of foreign trade to negotiate new trade agreements and open new world markets?
- Formation of family farm corporations is common practice. How can Farm Bureau work to ensure that the public’s positive perception of the family farm is not lost?
- How can farmers and ranchers maintain their buying power with the continued trend of input supplier and provider consolidations?
- How can Farm Bureau help members with increasing legal and regulatory obstacles so they can focus on farming and ranching?
For more information, please contact 801-233-3011 or email@example.com
YF&R Awards and Competitions
Those interested can get more information on the yearly State and National Young Farmer & Rancher awards and competitions, including the Achievement Award, Excellence in Agriculture Award, and Discussion meet
. Additionally, more information on the Collegiate Farm Bureau Discussion Meet can be found by contacting Utah Farm Bureau.
Current State YF&R Committee
(From left to right):Jed & Nanci (missing) Johnson (District 6), Russell & Heather (missing) Kohler (AFBF Committee Reps), Derek & Jordan Black (District 3), Kenny & Jam McFarland (District 2), Chad & Linda Osguthorpe (District 7), Brett & Jenna Madsen (Committee Chairs), , Ladell & Baily Brinkerhoff (District 5), Kyle & Shelley Wilson (Members-at-large), Dave & Kalei Robbins (District 4), and Brandon Hatch (District 1). Missing from photo are Nanci Johnson (District 6), Heather Kohler (AFBF Reps), and Michelle Hatch (District 1).
To find out more information or to contact your County YF&R Chair, please contact someone on the state committee below.
- Brett &
Jenna Madsen (Chairs), Chester, Utah
- Brandon &
Michelle Hatch, Randolph, Utah (District 1: Box Elder, Cache & Rich Counties)
- Kenny &
Jamilla McFarland, Ogden, Utah (District 2: Morgan, Summit & Weber Counties)
- Derek & Jordan Black, Grantsville, Utah (District 3: Davis, Salt Lake & Tooele Counties)
- Dave & Kalei Robbins, Santaquin, Utah (District 4: Juab, Utah & Wasatch Counties)
- LaDell &
Baily Brinkerhoff, Altamont, Utah (District 5: Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Grand, San Juan & Uintah Counties)
- Jed & Nanci Johnson, Aurora, Utah (District 6: Garfield, Piute, Sanpete, Sevier & Wayne Counties)
- Chad & Linda Osguthorpe, Hinckley, Utah (District 7: Beaver, Kane, Iron, Millard & Washington Counties)
- Kyle & Shelley Wilson, Enterprise, Utah. YF&R Committee members-at-large.
- Russ & Heather Kohler, Midway, Utah (American Farm Bureau YF&R Committee Rep)
For upcoming YF&R activities, see the
calendar of events.
For more information, call at 801-233-3011.